Monday 19 March 2012

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day, I thought I'd use this as an excuse to show you the lap blanket my mother made for me a couple of weeks ago:


DSC03416


DSC03418


She crocheted it without a pattern, making it up as she went along. It's my favourite thing in the world, I can't tell you how much I love it, if my house was burning down it would be the item I'd save. So perfect for keeping my legs warm while I knit. People don't make things for me very often, it's usually the other way around and it's reaffirmed how much I love to give knitted gifts by reminding me how nice it is to receive them.


A few days ago my mum announced 'I'm knitting up all my wool' (by wool she means yarn). I know this is in response to my * Ahem * rather extensive stash, which terrifies her and I'm not even sure she knows the true extent of it (if I'm being honest sometimes it terrifies me a bit too), and she is trying to encourage me to do the same. I ignored her and changed the subject.


A couple of days later we had a conversation which went something like this:
MUM: I'm doing really well knitting all my wool.
ME: What will you do when you've used it all? Will you stop knitting?
MUM: No, I'll buy some more.
ME: SO WHAT'S THE POINT?!?



My knee-jerk reaction to her anti-stash actions is to buy her more yarn. I can't help it. For Mother's Day I bought her some Rooster Almerino and she immediately cast on, this is an afternoons work - she knits FAST:


DSC03420


I'm not sure if this was because she really liked it or because she knows what I'm doing, if it's the latter, an epic battle of wills has begun and I will not be defeated.I haven't decided whether I will be giving her more yarn face to face or sneaking in to her stash and pretending to know nothing about it, I'll also be employing enabling tactics and taking her to yarn shops and shows.


I'll leave you with the portraits my 4 and 8 year old sons made for me:


DSC03423


Quite accurate really.

4 comments:

  1. It is actually a cunning plan on the part of your Mum. She thinks that when she was knit through her stash she can gain access to your obviously glorious stash of delicious yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh! I didn't know you were a mum! I thought you were college aged.
    How sweet that your mum hooked that up for you. It is fabulous. She is so funny too.
    Love that beautiful white yarn; so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the portraits are very cute !
    The blanket is lovely
    and yes indeed ,she knits very fast..she wants to get more yarn...:-))))...it looks yummy

    greetings
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete