Tuesday 15 November 2011

Coming along nicely...

I'm making good progress with my spindle spinning, when I first decided to learn I had grand ideas of spinning something I could knit socks with. It took me a while to spin a fine enough single so that when it was turned in to a 3-ply yarn it resembled something like a fingering weight, but I can do that now so the next challenge was to find a fibre suitable for socks - I don't want to put in all that effort and then wear a hole in them!


DSC03037


I got a sample batt from HilltopCloud and had a practice, this is the result - it's only a 2ply but it's fine enough to be sock yarn if it was a 3ply. The fibre is British Shetland wool, Merino and Trilobal Nylon, the nylon will help the socks wear well, although I may use a commercial sock yarn for the high wear areas (heels & toes), it depends what yardage I get.


DSC03067


This is the fibre which will eventually be socks! Three different shades of pumpkin orange - 1 for each ply, these are pick n mix batts, 35g each. I'll be spinning them as soon as I've finished what I've got on my spindle at the moment....


Which is this:


DSC02999


Yes, it's a SAL/KAL (Spin-a-long/Knit-a-long) with the Knit Girllls - not content with joining in and committing to knitting something within a specific time frame (and mostly failing), this time I've committed to spinning some fibre AND THEN knitting it in to something within a specific time frame. Deluded. Yes.


DSC03038


Anyway, it's lovely fibre from Cloudlover and it's spinning up beautifully, the colours are stunning. I'm aiming for a light fingering 2ply and all I can do is AIM.....

5 comments:

  1. Nice job on the spinning!
    LOVE those pumpkin hues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm jealous. I spin terribly and don't have the patience to get better. Your work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are stunning! I can't imagine being good enough at spinning to make yarn with a purpose in mind. Weel done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your spinning is fantastic now, my spindle spinning is nowhere near that consistent, mind you I usually only spin at craft fairs so I'm constantly putting my spindle down and picking it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fibre on your spindle is gorgeous! And beautifully spun too :)

    I love the pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete